Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Close Encounter with the CHP.

Driving the 5 freeway toward LA, using my Car Pool Stickers, I fly past a CHP (California Highway Patrol) cruiser parked behind an overpass pylon. I look in the rearview mirror and sure enough he lights up like a christmas tree and runs me down. I pull to the side of the narrow lane as carpool lane cars zip past at high speed.

He cautiously approaches the off road side and as I roll down the window, the officer asks "what happened?"
I return a questioning look and he says "You  are in a Carpool lane!" I say "yah" "I'm driving an Electric Car!" He responds "Electric?" as he notices the 'E' logo on the dash and brushes it with his hand.

 (Of course, in his rush to boost his quota with another expensive ticket, he hadn't noticed the no less than 3 White ZEV (Zero Emission Vehicle) stickers and the Chrome plated word 'ELECTRIC' under the rear license plate.

The officer then proceeds to walk around the front of the car, returning, says "you have no stickers!"
I point at the REAR of the car where there are 3 and he looks, then says "oh, you only have one, by the way that front license plate is illegal!" (He was talking about my 'Euro GB plate' which is a legal plate because it says the same thing my official California plate says.)

He handed me back my license, wrote something in his little notebook, smiled and said "Have a nice day!"

I wonder when they will inform the Officers in the cruisers about the MINI E?

No comments:

Post a Comment