Thursday, July 23, 2009

Back in the Saddle again!

Returned, rested from Paradise, to find Cooper E has exceeded 2000 mi. on the ODO, thanks to son Jamie.

Still performing perfectly, Cooper E now has his environmental plates and we are still working on the ZEV (Zero Emission Vehicle) sticker which will allow me to drive in the HOV lane alone.

It seems even though I filled in all the boxes on the application, Electric, even writing 'This is an ELECTRIC car', the DMV still believed it must be 'Compressed Natural Gas'.

They returned my application as 'Incomplete'.

Deciding this will be fun, I took Cooper E to a local DMV office for 'Verification' this morning.
While waiting in the lineup of cars, the Security Guard checking the lines asked what I wanted, "Verification, They don't believe it's Electric" a nice conversation ensues with the Security Guard voicing all the normal concerns," Don't you miss the engine noise? How far does it go? Does it just stop when it runs out? What do you do when it runs out?" I express to him that non of these things are really concerns in my Daily routine as I enjoy impressive acceleration without the exploding roar, I've not run out yet, I rarely exceed the cars range in my daily tasks, I plug it in, go to bed and have a full tank in the morning for less than 3 bucks.

The seriously poker faced inspector arrives and proceeds to look the car over, matching vin numbers, reading labels, etc etc, looks in the filler cap and says " I see you have two modes of power here" I said WHAT? he says you put some kind of gas in here (pointing to the Electric plug socket) I said NO thats where you plug in the Electricity! I open the rear hatch, show him the battery box, he says "Open it up" I said "I can't, they won't let me" I showed him the Emergency Cutoff switch, pulled one of the handy little information cards I'd just received in the 'goody' box, handed it to him. He read the card, handed it back and, finally, walking back to the engine compartment, still sure I'm hiding another motor somewhere, finds and reads the sticker on the hood which reads' ZEV fuel=Li*'.

He turns to me and says "you have Li * fuel---I guess that means battery!"

He signs the paper ELECTRIC - Li Fuel, hands it to me and says send it in to Sacramento with 8 bucks.

to be Continued, I'm Sure.

1 comment:

  1. Where do we get these people from? Is our State/nation so lame that we can't hire intelligent competent individuals to run these agencies?

    ReplyDelete