Saturday, August 29, 2009

Charger Sharing, Thanks Sandra and Dan!

Had to go to Malibu, 74 miles from home, today. 
Jamie had put 98 miles on the car last night arriving home about 4:am. COOPER E was still charging when I got up at 7:30. 
I began to plan my day and how I would make the trip (which is right on the edge of my range capability) and return in one day instead of doing an overnight with the 110v 'occasional use' charger.
Knowing I would need to charge somewhere along the way, I consulted the 'Charger Sharing' website, looked up Sandra Kulli #246, who had previously offered hers.
I called, talked to her husband Dan and found she would be home around noon. I arrived at their beautiful home in Malibu at 12:15 having used about 60% of my charge with about 10 or 12 miles to go to my destination in Latigo Shores. 
Sandra, I had met at the initial MiniUSA party, Dan I just met for the first time.
Greeted by the ever smiling, cheerful, Sandra, I immediately felt welcome as she abolished any thought I had of intruding on her day.
After an hour and a half of great conversation and Coffee made by Dan  I was ready to go with an 88% charge.
It really is fun meeting the other Mini E Pioneers!
Thats me and my new friend Sandra, Dan took the picture.

I made it to Latigo, had a nice two hours there with friends, jumped back in the car and headed off to do the 74 miles home with a 76% charge.

A lot of traffic, even though it was Saturday, used regenerative braking a lot. Thought about stopping at Long Beach Mini for a touch up charge but decided, as I passed Signal Hill in Long Beach, to go for it as the 'regen' seemed to really be helping.
Several times I watched as, while in heavy traffic, the % digital readout actually reversed and climbed, I was putting power back into the battery. There were times also that sitting at a stop light, it would adjust upward a percent or two.

I ended a great day of guiltless driving, getting off the 405 freeway in Seal Beach and cruising down PCH (Pacific Coast Hiway) along the ocean, returning home to Newport.

148.8 miles on the ODO with 9 miles left.

The warning 'sound' and triangle appeared at 25 miles then again at 10 miles.

COOPER E now sits charging and getting ready for what tomorrow brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment