Thursday, June 18, 2009

109.8 miles!

Today I made my longest round trip yet in the Mini E.


Starting out about 9am, in normally heavy LA morning traffic, I had decided my strategy would be to keep my speed under 60 mph when traffic flowed, use the regenerative braking whenever possible and utilize the gradual inclines and declines I really hadn't paid much attention to before. As I flowed with the stop and go traffic, I actually watched at one point as the battery readout read 58% fluctuated and improved to 63% as I used the regenerative braking. This happened repeatedly.

Arrived for my meeting at FOX at 52 miles with 51% charge left.


Returning to my parked car I was nervous, I had 51 % to get home, I might make it, might not.


I drove 8 miles to Marina Del Rey, to a friends Studio, where I knew there was a charger. They have a car coming, arrives next Monday.


So, at 60 miles, 48% charge left, I borrowed some juice, after a nice tour of the Studio, chat about cars in general and Mini E in particular with a lot of very nice people on lunch break, a one and half hour charge brought me to 80%.


I then headed safely home. I arrived home having traveled 109.8 miles having 29% charge left.


Simple math 80-29=51% (what it took to get home), add the 49% (I used to get to the meeting) = 100%.


Maybe I cheated by getting a touch up mid course but I wasn't sure I would make it and the opportunity to charge was there.


I really don't think you can count on more than 1% per mile and generally less especially in Southern California but the regen does seem to help and I think mileage really benefits from heavy traffic. (a new way of looking at rush hour)


All's well that ends well, another successful day in the life of COOPER E 230, and our horizons continue to broaden.


No comments:

Post a Comment